Additional Gear Required
DRY LUBE or similar – ESSENTIAL for stainless steel bolts
Wire coat hanger – To assist chasing cables if optioned
13MM SOCKET/WRENCH OR RATCHET RING SPANNER
6MM + 5MM ALLEN KEY and RUBBER HAMMER. Note that it is best to use a ball head allen tool.
Rack is 90% put together off the Jeep then lifted into place.
1. ALWAYS USE DRILUBE ON STAINLESS BOLTS. It’s a waxy type stick.
2. All bolts and nuts should have a washer. Some have a spring washer.
3. FINGER TIGHTEN FIRST. DOG UP TIGHT AFTER RACK IS ON JEEP.
4. Always tighten the nut and hold the bolt head firmly
5. Layout a blanket or soft fabric for working on powdered parts
6. Be careful not to scratch your Sharpwrax logo!
7. GO SLOW
8. IF AN ANY ACETAL HOLES DON’T MATCH UP to allow a bolt thru (The tolerance is very very small!), DRILL OUT ACETAL TO 9MM, 9.5MM OR 10MM… WHATEVER IS THE MIN YOUR NEED. DON’T DRILL THE ALUMINIUM. BEST TO PROTECT YOUR POWDER COAT.
1. Rear frame. The frame has two sections. The sloping arm is at the rear of the Jeep.
2. Place blanket down. Fit acetal rods into tubes on one of the frames with slotted groove downward. Use 60mm socket head bolts. Nyloc nuts on hidden inside of frame. Always fit an M8 washer to all M8 nuts and bolts. Always apply Drylube to bolt thread.
3. Fit the second frame. Finger tighten bolts.
4. Turn frame over upside down on blanket with legs facing upward.
5. Bolt on REAR soft top mounts.
6. If rear mounts are optioned with hinges use included hardware and bolt together as picture A and B. This shows the rear mounts as correctly positioned right and left looking from the rear. Note 1. The under dual nut plates have the welded nuts slightly off set being closer to one side of the nut plate than the other. This narrower side fits on the inner tub edge. Note 2. There are very thin nylon washers installed. These are important to the smooth operation of the hinge. Note 3. The acorn head nut on the INSIDE of mount.
7. Fit front mounts to front frame arms.
8. Turn frame over.
9. Place tray on to. Note the tray is designed to have holes all line up one way. There is a front and back.
10. Put a twist of Drilube into all the counter sunk holes.
11. Bolt tray in place using 5mm allen key with flat washer and nylok nut.
12. JEEP INSTALL
13. Remove windows. Release rear soft top quarter panels.
14. Be sure you have removed the mount nut plates!
15. Carefully lift rack onto Jeep.
16. This should be a no drill install. Align the rearmost hole on the tub to the rear nut plate hole. If hinges are fitted this will also be the most rear hole.
17. Front mount hole should align to existing tub holes.
18. When your all bolted up to the tub pull each arm firmly outward and firmly tighten up tub bolts. This pulls the inner mount edge snug up to the inner edge of the tub. Consequently the outer mount will sit 5mm – 8mm away from the outer Jeep panel.
19. Tighten all frame and tray nuts.
20. WINDOW TRIM.
View the window trim video on the youtube Sharpwrax channel
There is a link to the channel on the web site home page bottom right on the bully spike pic! This video show the marking and drilling required. I have found though that I can obtain a tighter and neater fit completing the trimming. Note that the diagonal cut is inward TOWARDS the mount.
21. Don’t stress on trimming your tub strips. During my years of testing I replaced my nylon strips replaced by a motor trimmer. Cheap and good as new if you wish to return your window trim to stock.
22. For really dusty conditions optional full dust seals will be available soon.
Thank you for purchasing Sharpwrax. Stay in touch. Hope to see pics of you wheeling with your Sharpwrax loaded up. Please send them!